Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Keeping their Trust While Loving Them During Dangerous Cold Snap



By Mary Hill





I could hear the Arctic wind rattle windows and doors tonight as I sat in my living room thinking back a few hours when my husband out of concern for the safety of our dogs brought them inside and put them in our bathroom.

He does that kind of thing. He was scared for them.  

"She was so cold."  He said of our huge red-coated coon hound.  Her short red fur glistened as my second oldest daughter brought her inside. She was like a bronco on the leash, twisting and turning to get to my husband who laid down on the floor watching the Auburn, Florida national championship football game.

She licked him in the face and tried to snuggle up to him.  He and my daughter walked the dog down the hall to my 8x8 bathroom. She seemed to take up half of it. 

I admit I was nervous, scared she would mess up the bathroom that needs drastic renovation anyway.

Next came my smaller, but medium sized dog of 13 years. He is old and has cataracts in his eyes. He wagged his tail excitedly as he came up to my legs. I have had him since a puppy.  Before my husband decided to bring them in, I was scared, he would not survive the frigid cold air forecast tonight.   It was 12 degrees outside with a wind chill of 5 degrees. The projected temperatures for tonight is 8 farenheit with wind chills of 10 degrees below zero.  It has not been below 10 in our region since Feb. 9, 1995.

Before the decision, we had made their doghouse as warm as possible, filling it with hay and covering the opening, but no one can survive outside in this frigid air tonight. We just couldn't leave them out there.

Now the house is quiet. The heater just came on. I am going to have a stinky bathroom to clean tomorrow. My older dog was panting  in there tonight. I sat on the toilet and took a wash rag and rubbed my good smelling soap into his fur and then sponged him off. Quickly drying with him with a towel. He rubbed against me and then shook himself hard like I had just given him a bath.

They trust us to take care of them and to do what is best for them.  It is that simple. I wouldn't trade a stinky bathroom for a clean and sweet smelling one when their lives are so dependent on us to make the wisest decisions on their behalf.


This is my 11th personal and 115th installment of Just Write, an exercise in free writing your ordinary and extraordinary moments. {Please see the details here.} 

I am also participating in these hops for Tuesday:

#60 - 1/07/14 - TRUST OR TRADE

           \



To see other hops and link ups that I participate in be sure to visit my Tuesday's hop page.  Thanks :)     

13 comments:

  1. They do trust you, I'm sure. After all, you've loved them for all these years! It is frigidly cold here in Illinois today! With the wind chill, it's -45 degrees!! Tomorrow is Snow Day #2 for us. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did they make out? Hope your dogs and bathroom are all in one piece.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,
    I am a first time visitor to your blog, and love it.
    I come here from the chain linky blog hop. I am foillowing you in all ways that I can, but the sign in button is not working for me, maybe it is just the bad South African internet, will try again later.
    Love this blog and especially the article above.
    Thank you.
    I hope that you have a fantastic day.
    Love and best wishes.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs are lucky to have you and your husband. We are experiencing the cold front here today. BRRRR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally worth the possible mess to keep our critters safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you brought the dogs in, it is too cold to be outside. I know it is a challenge to have outside dogs in the house, but what choice is there? Hopefully this cold snap will move on out and life can resume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So touching, you guys know how to care for your pets. A dirty bathroom is better than a dead pet any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...my previous comment didn't seem to come through - I'll try again! I'm so glad your sweet dogs came in out of the cold. Even if you did have to fumigate the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh was a sweet story of tender love for your animals and their appreciation. Our weather is not quite as cold as yours. Our dog houses have a warm blanket inside and blankets and a tarp covering their box which sits on our front porch with its walls half way up and screens and windows on sides. They use a doggie door to enter and exit so they are okay. Animals are like family and they look to us for care and comfort. Thank you for sharing with us here at "Tell me a Story."

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty cold. Good call on the dogs. Hope they didn't make too big of a mess. How far north do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary
    I have nominated you for the winter tag. The details are on the blog but I fully understand if you don't have the time to do it as I know how time consuming it can be xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary, I am sure your dogs appreciated being inside the house on such a cold night. I know mine love snuggling under the blankets when it is super cold. Thanks for sharing. M

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you thought to bring them in during this awful weather and that you made their doghouse extra cozy for when they are outside! Happy dogs!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.